Amazon is the largest and most popular e-commerce platform in the world, with over 300 million active customers and millions of products for sale. If you are a seller on Amazon, you know how important it is to rank high on the search results page and attract more buyers to your products. However, ranking on Amazon is not as easy as it seems. There are many factors that affect your visibility and performance on Amazon, such as keywords, product titles, descriptions, images, reviews, ratings, and more. And there are also many common mistakes that sellers make that can hurt their Amazon SEO and lower their sales.
In this article, we will discuss some of the most common Amazon SEO mistakes that you should avoid if you want to succeed on Amazon. We will also give you some tips on how to optimize your product listings and use the best Amazon SEO services to boost your rankings and sales.
Not Doing Keyword Research
One of the biggest mistakes that sellers make is not doing proper keyword research before creating or optimizing their product listings. Keywords are the words and phrases that customers use to search for products on Amazon. They are the foundation of your Amazon SEO strategy, as they determine how relevant and visible your products are to your target audience.
If you do not use the right keywords for your products, you will miss out on a lot of potential traffic and sales. You will also waste your time and money on optimizing your listings for keywords that are not relevant or profitable. Therefore, you need to do thorough keyword research and find out what your customers are searching for, what your competitors are ranking for, and what are the best keywords for your products.
There are many tools and methods that you can use to do keyword research for Amazon, such as:
- Using the Amazon search bar and autocomplete feature to see what customers are typing and what suggestions Amazon gives them.
- Using the Amazon keyword tool to see what keywords are popular and how competitive they are.
- Using third-party service for Amazon SEO services, to get more insights and data on keywords, such as search volume, difficulty, opportunity, and more.
Not Optimizing Your Product Titles
Another common mistake that sellers make is not optimizing their product titles for Amazon SEO. Your product title is one of the most important elements of your product listing, as it is the first thing that customers see when they search for products on Amazon. It is also one of the main factors that Amazon uses to rank your products on the search results page.
Your product title should be clear, concise, and descriptive, and it should include the most relevant and important keywords for your product. It should also follow the Amazon style guide and best practices, such as:
- Using title case and capitalizing the first letter of each word, except for conjunctions, articles, and prepositions.
- Using 200 characters or less, including spaces.
- Including the brand name, product name, and key features or benefits of your product, such as size, color, quantity, etc.
- Avoiding unnecessary or misleading information, such as promotional words, symbols, punctuation, or claims that are not supported by your product description or images.
Here are some examples of good and bad product titles regarding Amazon SEO services:
- Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G Factory Unlocked Android Cell Phone 128GB US Version Smartphone Pro-Grade Camera 8K Video 108MP High Res, Phantom Black.
- Bose QuietComfort 35 II Wireless Bluetooth Headphones, Noise-Canceling, with Alexa Voice Control – Black.
- Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G – The Best Phone Ever!!! Buy Now and Save $$$ – 128GB – Black – Unlocked – Free Shipping – Limited Time Offer.
- Bose Headphones – Wireless – Bluetooth – Noise-Canceling – Alexa – Black.
Not Writing Compelling Product Descriptions
Another common mistake that sellers make regarding Amazon SEO services is not writing compelling product descriptions for their products. Your product description is the second most important element of your product listing, as it is the place where you can provide more details and information about your product and persuade customers to buy it. It is also another factor that Amazon uses to rank your products on the search results page.
Your product description should be informative, engaging, and persuasive, and it should include the following elements:
- A brief introduction that summarizes the main features and benefits of your product and captures the attention of your customers.
- A list of bullet points that highlight the key features and benefits of your product and how they solve the problems or needs of your customers.
- A detailed paragraph that expands on the bullet points and provides more information and details about your product, such as specifications, dimensions, materials, warranty, etc.
- A call to action that encourages customers to buy your product or take the next step, such as adding it to their cart, checking out, or reading more reviews.
Your product description should also include relevant and important keywords for your product, but you should avoid keyword stuffing or using keywords that are not related to your product. You should also use clear and simple language, avoid grammar and spelling errors, and use formatting and spacing to make your product description easy to read and scan.
Here are some examples of good and bad product descriptions when talking about the best practices for Amazon SEO services:
The Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G is the ultimate smartphone for creators, with a pro-grade camera system that lets you capture stunning photos and videos in any situation. The 108MP wide-angle camera captures high-resolution images with rich details and colors, while the 12MP ultra-wide camera lets you fit more in the frame. The 10MP telephoto camera offers 3x optical zoom and 10x digital zoom, while the 10MP periscope camera offers 10x optical zoom and 100x digital zoom, letting you get closer to the action. The Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G also features an 8K video recording mode that lets you shoot cinematic videos with incredible clarity and detail. You can also use the 40 MP selfie camera to take stunning selfies and vlogs, or use the Director’s View mode to switch between cameras while recording.
The Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G is a great phone that has a lot of features. It has a big screen, a good camera, a fast processor, and a long battery life. It also supports 5G, which is very fast. You should buy this phone because it is very good and cheap. It is better than other phones. It is the best phone ever. Buy it now.
Not Using High-Quality Product Images
Another common mistake that sellers make is not using high-quality product images for amazon products. Your product images are the third most important element of your product listing, as they are the first thing that customers see when they browse through the search results page. They are also the main factor that influences customers’ buying decisions, as they provide a visual representation of your product and its features.
Your product images should be clear, crisp, and professional, and they should showcase your product from different angles and perspectives. They should also follow the Amazon image guidelines and best practices, such as:
- Using a white background and good lighting to make your product stand out and look consistent with other products on Amazon.
- Using at least 1000 pixels on the longest side and 500 pixels on the shortest side to ensure your images are zoomable and detailed.
- Using at least five images per product, including the main image and additional images that show different views, features, variations, or use cases of your product.
- Avoiding any text, logos, watermarks, borders, or other distractions that may obscure or confuse your product image.
- Avoiding any misleading or inaccurate images that do not match your product description or specifications.
Not Getting Enough Reviews and Ratings
Another common mistake that sellers make regarding Amazon SEO services is not getting enough reviews and ratings for their products. Your reviews and ratings are the fourth most important element of your product listing, as they are the social proof that customers look for when they shop online. They are also another factor that Amazon uses to rank your products on the search results page.
Your reviews and ratings should be positive, authentic, and relevant, and they should reflect the quality and value of your product. They should also be updated and consistent, as customers tend to trust recent and verified reviews more than old and unverified ones. However, getting reviews and ratings on Amazon is not easy, as customers are not obliged to leave feedback and Amazon has strict rules and policies on how you can solicit reviews from your customers.
Therefore, you need to use effective and ethical strategies to get more reviews and ratings for your products, such as:
- Providing excellent customer service and support, and resolving any issues or complaints that your customers may have.
- Encouraging your customers to leave feedback by sending them a follow-up email or message after they receive their product, and thanking them for their purchase.
- Offering incentives or rewards to your customers for leaving feedback, such as discounts, coupons, free samples, or loyalty points, as long as they are compliant with Amazon’s guidelines and terms of service.
- Using third-party tools for Amazon SEO services, to automate and optimize your review generation and management process.
Not Analyzing and Improving Your Performance
The last common mistake that sellers make is not analyzing and improving their performance on Amazon. Your Amazon SEO is not a one-time thing, but an ongoing process that requires constant monitoring and optimization. You need to track and measure your performance on Amazon, such as your rankings, traffic, conversions, sales, and profits, and identify your strengths and weaknesses. You also need to keep up with the changes and trends on Amazon, such as the algorithm updates, the customer behavior, the market demand, and the competition.
By analyzing and improving your performance on Amazon, you can:
- Find out what works and what doesn’t work for your products and your niche, and adjust your strategy accordingly.
- Discover new opportunities and gaps that you can exploit and fill, and expand your product range and market share.
- Avoid potential pitfalls and threats that may harm your reputation and revenue, and take preventive and corrective actions.
- Test and experiment with different variables and factors that may affect your Amazon SEO, such as keywords, titles, descriptions, images, prices, etc., and find the optimal combination for your products.
There are many tools and methods that you can use to analyze and improve your performance on Amazon, such as:
- Using the Amazon Seller Central dashboard and reports to see your sales and performance data and metrics, such as orders, units, revenue, fees, etc.
- Using the Amazon Advertising console and reports to see your advertising and marketing data and metrics, such as impressions, clicks, conversions, cost, etc.
- Using third-party tools for Amazon SEO services, to get more insights and analytics on your performance, such as rankings, keywords, competitors, reviews, etc.
Amazon SEO is a crucial and challenging aspect of selling on Amazon, as it determines how visible and attractive your products are to your customers. However, many sellers make common mistakes that can hurt their Amazon SEO and lower their sales. By avoiding these mistakes and following the best practices and tips that we have discussed in this article, you can optimize your product listings and use the best Amazon SEO services to boost your rankings and sales on Amazon.